Wednesday, June 23, 2010

If you got something to say to me, say it to my face! - My Obligation to Subtitle. 6/23/10 – Wednesday day 11

That is one of my least favorite expressions in the world. It makes me laugh. I am not sure I want people to always say things to my face because, then, I feel obligated to say something back about my grandaddy being older than someone else's grandaddy. I also do not know why I feel obligated to use subtitles. They never have anything to do with title-title. I just like the thought of having a subtitle. I guess it is comparable to those people who have to have a bunch of extra pillows on their beds that are never used. The difference is that the color my blog-pillows do not match any of the other pillows or sheets or the comforter. Which leads me to what I really want to discuss and that is my comforter. If you don't like my subtitles, I guess you can just say it to my face.


EDL 822 (Ind. & Org. Dev.) – Yesterday, we started out with student led presentations for the system archetypes (pronounced arka-tipes) for the The Water of Ayole. I am considering using this film, which originally made me a little angry, for professional development. It would be a good way to discuss goals and effectiveness. Today, now keep in mind I may have already disconnected, but I do not think we touched on anything new. We did discuss the Obama/McChrystal situation. The class discussion was ironic in that there seemed to be a consensus among the class that McChrystal should be fired...that he must go...because that is just the way it is. While I sit in class, I try to keep things on track with leadership in my own mind at least. So, I kept asking myself if the same rules should apply to any subordinate who criticizes his/her leader. Should they be fired? Should teachers be reprimanded who openly criticize their department heads or administrators? And, would it extend to message boards like topix.net (which brings up an entirely new topic that I will address sometime in future)? That just doesn't sit well with me. Although I personally detest being criticized when I can't offer a rebuttal, I do not want to work in an environment where teachers feel they have to walk on pins and needles wondering if they will be reprimanded because of an off-hand comment that was made with no malice. However, I do wish those who are critical of me would talk with me. I don't bite anymore. The whole thing reminds me of a writing lesson I used to share with students where I repeated the phrase, "If you got something to say to me, say it my face." I would make a sweeping motion with my hand right after the word "me" to indicate the comma. Then, I would switch the independent clause and the dependent clause without indicating the comma. It was cool to see students saying it back to themselves during standardized testing when trying to decide how to punctuate complex sentences.

New Word – McChrystalized The definition - To get fired for talking shat about one's boss.
ex: I shouldn't have said that about my boss. It is no wonder I got McChrystalized.

This fellow looks angry.
New Idea – If subordinates are critical of their leaders, they have to be let go. See Article 88 - Any commissioned officer who uses contemptuous words against the President, the Vice President, Congress, the Secretary of Defense, the Secretary of a military department, the Secretary of Transportation, or the Governor or legislature of any State, Territory, Commonwealth, or possession in which he is on duty or present shall be punished as a court-martial may direct.

Click and follow links if you are interested.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/ezra-klein/2010/06/how_to_punish_mcchrystal.html

The links do not seem to be working.

One more thing, and I will quit beating this dead mule. Why in the world would he replace McChrystal (that is hard to type) with Petreaus? He is sick as a dog. His back hurts and he just passed out. Click here to see what I am talking about:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/44/2010/06/petraeus-passes-out-briefly-at.html?hpid=topnews

You will just have to copy and paste the links.



EDL 831 (Doc. Seminar II) – Henderson is a teacher.

Brownism – When asked if there were a dissertation czar, Brown replies, “I cannot be revealed.”


Lunch - I ate vienna sausages in the room. The food is subpar this summer. Which is a shame.
















EDL 823 (Ch. & Ent.) – It is safe to say what one thinks is an “artifact” is really an “artifact."

I do not like the word "hate." I hate the figure of speech "sucks," but my hatred of power points supercedes my linguistic snobbery. Power points suck.

Here is my poster presentation. I am not sure I would use it as an example.
















PLP/Field Study – Yesterday, Jackie Tison from the July group came up and re-administered the Bar-On EQI. I have seemed to grow. I guess that means I am less emotionally attached than I was a year ago. She worked really hard to get results back to us. It was good seeing her.

Research Groups – Yesterday, the time period was less structured and that is exactly what many of us needed. I did not get any time with Brown, Peevley, Henderson, or Rogers, but it seems as if many did. I do wish there was more of that. I have no idea what happened today.

Evening – All I have left that is due before I leave is Chapter 3 (Brown), the Tri-fold Poster Presentation (Harrison), The Group paper (Harrison). When I get home I have two article critiques and the ToR Case Study (Carter) and the Case Study (Harrison).

If I am ever lucky enough to teach again, I will mitigate the amount of homework I assign. There has got to be a more creative way to learn. I might give practice options, but I do not think I would hang the balance of the learning on outside assignments.

"Well grits is just ground up corn, and my mama used to make the best grits."

If you don't like grits, say it to my face.

No comments: