Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Will you continue to pick up the bat? Or Where’s the Gravy Or The World is Bumpy- Day 3, Tuesday, 6/15/10

I really can’t think of a title. Dr. Blawg. That is a good title.

When I was about 8 years old, I had no idea I wasn’t going to play in the major leagues. I thought I was good, and, relative to my peers, I was good. I would always pick up the bat, and whether or not I struck out, I always felt as if I did well. Looking back I know it is because I felt safe. The kind of “safe” that Harry Wong mentions in his book. Today, I literally pass on batting...every time. Figuratively, I pass on the opportunity to bat a lot.

However, I hardly ever pass on the gravy. I haven’t mentioned this yet, but there really are no snacks provided in the dorm. I miss them there snacks, but who doesn't miss snacks. Last summer, I felt exhilarated to run nude down the stairs for a cold drink and a granola bar. Of course, I am kidding. I just think it is a good idea to include a test every once in a while to see if people are actually reading. People who really know me know I would not run down the stairs.

My wife and kids are in Florida today at a wildlife park looking at hippos and gators. I thought the only hippos indigenous to Florida were…nevermind. I guess there is no way to go to Florida without seeing a few hippos. Anyoldwho, I miss them immensely, deeply. I like those people. My wife looks good in person, but she really looks good when I haven’t seen her in a few days.

Hey Gravy-lovers! I finally got some real gravy... not that weak au jus or asian garlic sauce. It ain’t my Granny’s gravy, but it will do. There wasn’t much fruit for breakfast. I love apple butter. It is one of God’s gifts to be sure. Now, I am not talking about smooth, dark apple sauce. I am talking about apple butter. Smucker’s is pretty good. We have to be in there between 7 and 7:30 because all four million upward-bound kids arrive at 7:30.

For EDL 822, Organization and Personal Development, we went over Chapters 1 and 2 of The Fifth Discipline.



Dr. Karen Carter allows space for a great class discussion. I think she have felt as though she let things go on a tangent, but I actually learned something about inter/intrapersonal relationships. One of the slides in her presentation really caught my interest. It said, “The more you learn, the more you acutely aware you become of your own ignorance.”



She did remove an assignment (the one about the left hand column). For tomorrow, we just need to read chapters 3 & 4 from Senge. Dr. Carter also needs to tell me what this puffy turtle sticker on my ID means. She handed them out the first day without an explanation. Maybe I just missed it.

EDL 831, Doctoral Seminar II started off with an introduction by Dr. Brown. He says Doc or rather being called doc is a good thing. He spoke for a while about success consisting of believing one can achieve. I guess this stems from the confidence you will get from attaining and EdD. He says or implies that it gives you a license to take risks and occasionally fail. “The only way you won’t strike out,” he says “is if you don’t pick up a bat.” He says the program is trying to re-engineer us about the perspectives we have regarding our own abilities.
Dr. Henderson includes a bit of history about Guinness. Who knew? You can check it out here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T_test



He does do an excellent job of teaching the T test. I believe he is making the powerpoint available. Brown and Henderson seem like the best team (teaching) so far. The complement each other very well. I hope the two get paired up more often. This lecture will be very valuable for those who are doing a quantitative or mixed methodology. It might be one of the best lectures we have had concerning the topic. He shows us how to use Excel to do it. And, I was glad when the class was over. T test, t bag, tea party.

I forgot to mention that yesterday on the first day of class. Dr. Rogers shared poetry with us and sat cross-legged on the front table. It was beautiful. That makes me like him although I enjoy him in a large group much more than one-on-one. He wants us to who are writing a qualitative piece to create a piece of art.

For lunch – Hamburgers and fries or Pizza. It is really hard for me to determine where the line starts and ends. You will see what I mean when you get here.

For EDL 823, Change and Entrepreneurship, Dr. Harrison tackled the topic of Knowledge Management. He also gave us an option with regards to the group project. We can either do it as it stands in the syllabus or we can work within our groups by identifying issues in our respective schools, then identify common issues that the member’s of our group has, and then figure out how each other approaches the problems, and then we can write that up. We also watch a 48 minute video with Tom Friedman (The World is Flat 3.0 http://ocw.mit.edu), and followed it with a pretty decent class discussion. Dr. Hubbard showed up and let us know that the world is bumpy…not flat. So there you go.



For the research groups July-ers might want to get some things together…i.e. drafts (several copies), research (interview transcriptions, coded data etc.). The plan is to do some peer review, and I am not ready to contribute. I have nothing for them to look at. I can’t find where I coded my Lincoln stuff.

This evening I plan on eating supper. I hear we are having turkey dressing and GRAVY. We will see. After that I am work on my coding, the Skit, my table of contents, and read the assignments for Carter and Harrison. I may even watch O-bama from the O-val office.

Update: We had Gravy!

Btw, All four groups are staying in the same dorms we stayed in last year. If you have specific questions, respond to the link on facebook on the LMU page with your question(s), and someone else may answer it before I do. I can’t remember if I have told you or not, but Bob Downs formerly of Sprayberry HS…currently with Wheeler HS from the July group is up here with me.

Back to the bat…Joel, just keep picking up the bat, so you can knock this thing out of the park.

No comments: